I have been asked many times what is an "Infidel"? Well.. I knew somewhat and it is quite simple really.. but I thought I would dig a little deeper and just jot down pieces that I found to be interesting.
All opinions and feedback are welcome~
- Offensive. An unbeliever with respect to a particular religion, especially Christianity or Islam.
- One who has no religious beliefs.
- One who doubts or rejects a particular doctrine, system, or principle.
[Middle English infidele, from Old French, from Latin īnfidēlis, disloyal : in-, not; see in–1 + fidēlis, faithful (from fidēs, faith).]
The noun has one meaning:
- Main article: kafir
In Islam, the Arabic word kafir (كافر) refers to a person who inwardly or outwardly denies Allah and/or the Islamic prophet Muhammad. Because the term is considered derogatory, Muslim scholars discourage its usage due to the Quran's command to use kind words. It is even a punishable offence to use this term against a Jew or a Christian, under Islamic law.
- Muslim — submitter [to God]
- Mu'min — believer
- Fasiq — open sinner
- Fajir — sinner (by action)
- Kafir — concealer of the truth
- Munafiq — hypocrite
This article is on the Islamic religious term. For the pejorative racial slur, see kaffir (ethnic slur).
Kafir (Arabic: كافر kāfir; plural كفّار kuffār) is an Arabic word literally meaning "ingrate". In the Islamic doctrinal sense the term refers to a person who does not recognize Allah or the finality of the prophethood of Muhammad and hides, denies, or covers the truth. In cultural terms, it is a derogatory term used to describe an unbeliever, non-Muslims, apostate from Islam and even between Muslims of different sects. It is usually translated into English as "infidel" or "unbeliever."
The islamic law (sharia) distinguishes three types of kafirs:
Debate exists between some Muslim scholars as to whether the term applies to Jews and Christians, and later Zoroastrians, as these can also be regarded as Ahl-ul Kittab, People of the Book or Dhimmi ("protected people"). "Kafir" has been used historically to identify Hindus, Buddhists, and followers of non-denominational religions or local, pagan traditions. Some distinguish between Kafir and non-Muslims, as Kafir is used by the Qur'an for people who were guilty of rejection or non-acceptance of what it says is the truth, even after it has supposedly become fully apparent to them, while non-Muslim is primarily a term implying a person who does not ascribe to the Islamic faith.
First used in Middle English circa 1460 (adjective, noun), from the Middle French infidèle, and from Latin infidelis "unfaithful," later "unbelieving," In the 15c. meaning "a non-Christian" (especially a Saracen); later "one who does not believe in religion" (1526). Also used to translate Arabic kafir, from a root meaning "to disbelieve, to deny," strictly referring to all non-Muslims but virtually synonymous with "Christian"; hence, from a Muslim or Jewish point of view, "a Christian".
1460 (adj., n.), from M.Fr. infidèle, from L. infidelis "unfaithful," later "unbelieving," from in- "not" + fidelis "faithful" (see fidelity). In 15c. "a non-Christian" (especially a Saracen); later "one who does not believe in religion" (1526). Also used to translate Arabic kafir, from a root meaning "to disbelieve, to deny," strictly referring to all non-Muslims but virtually synonymous with "Christian;" hence, from a Muslim or Jewish point of view, "a Christian" (1534).
This next segment is lengthy, but I feel is necessary to inform as to the gravity of "Intolerance in the Quran" regarding the 'INFIDEL' or rather 'THE AMERICAN INFIDEL'
How can one get info on the part of the Koran that states that anyone who isn't of Muslim faith is an infidel and must be destroyed?
The Qur'an (Arabic: القرآن al-qur'ān, literally "the recitation"; also sometimes transliterated as Qur'ān, Koran, Alcoran or Al-Qur'ān) is the central religious text of Islam. Muslims believe the Qur'an to be the book of divine guidance and direction for mankind, and consider the original Arabic text to be the final revelation of God.
Intolerance in the Qur'an
Those who disbelieve the revelations of Allah ... promise them a painful doom.--3:21
The Qur'an, virtually on every page, is a manifesto for religious intolerance. -- Sam Harris
- Don't bother to warn the disbelievers. Allah has blinded them. Theirs will be an awful doom. 2:6
- Allah has sickened their hearts. A painful doom is theirs because they lie. 2:10
- Allah has blinded the disbelievers. 2:17-18
- A fire has been prepared for the disbelievers, whose fuel is men and stones. 2:24
- Disbelievers will be burned with fire. 2:39, 2:90
- Allah stamped wretchedness upon the Jews because they killed the prophets and disbelieved Allah's revelations. 2:61
- Allah turned the Sabbath-breaking Jews into apes. 2:65-66
- If you believe in only part of the Scripture, you will suffer in this life and go to hell in the next. 2:85
- Allah has cursed them for their unbelief. 2:88
- The curse of Allah is on disbelievers. 2:89
- Jews are the greediest of all humankind. They'd like to live 1000 years. But they are going to hell. 2:96
- Allah is an enemy to the disbelievers. 2:98
- Only evil people are disbelievers. 2:99
- For disbelievers is a painful doom. 2:104
- For unbelievers: ignominy in this world, an awful doom in the next. 2:114
- "And thou wilt not be asked about the owners of hell-fire." (They are the non-muslims.) 2:119
- Disbelievers are losers. 2:121
- Allah will leave the disbelievers alone for a while, but then he will compel them to the doom of Fire. 2:126
- "Who forsaketh the religion of Abraham save him who befooleth himself?"</I>
Cited in the Hamas Charter (Article 27) to condemn the idea of a secular state. 2:130
- Those who reject the proofs, are accursed of Allah. 2:159
- Those who die disbelievers, are cursed by Allah, angels, and men. 2:161
- The doom of the disbelievers will not be lightened. 2:162
- They will not emerge from the Fire. 2:167
- Disbelievers will be deaf, dumb, and blind. 2:171
- Those who hide the Scripture will have their bellies eaten with fire. Theirs will be a painful doom. 2:174
- How constant are they in their strife to reach the Fire! 2:175
- Believers must retaliate. Those who transgress will have a painful doom. 2:178
- Kill disbelievers wherever you find them. If they attack you, then kil them. Such is the reward of disbelievers. (But if they desist in their unbelief, then don't kill them.) 2:191-2
- Fight them until "religion is for Allah." 2:193
- Those who fail in their duty to Allah are proud and sinful. They will all go to hell. 2:206
- War is ordained by Allah, and all Muslims must be willing to fight, whether they like it or not. 2:216
- Those who die in their disbelief will burn forever in the Fire. 2:217
- Intermarriage is forbidden. 2:221
- The disbelievers, they are the wrong-doers. 2:254
- Disbelievers worship false gods. The will burn forever in the Fire. 2:257
- Allah does not guide disbelievers. 2:264
- "Give us victory over the disbelieving folk." 2:286
- Those who disbelieve the revelations of Allah, theirs will be a heavy doom. 3:4
- Those who disbelieve will be fuel for the Fire. 3:10
- Those who disbelieve shall be overcome and gathered unto Hell. 3:12
- Non-muslims will be punished by Allah for their nonbelief. 3:19
- Those who disbelieve, promise them a painful doom. 3:21
- "They [Christians and Jews] say: The Fire will not touch us save for a certain number of days. That which they used to invent hath deceived them regarding their religion." (The Fire will burn them forever.) 3:24
- Let not the believers take disbelievers for their friends in preference to believers. 3:28
- Allah loveth not the disbelievers. 3:32
- Allah will punish disbelievers in this world and the next. They will have no helpers. 3:56
- Don't believe anyone who is not a Muslim. 3:73
- Theirs will be a painful doom. 3:77
- All non-Muslims will be rejected by Allah after they die. 3:85
- Disbelievers will be cursed by Allah, angels, and men. They will have a painful doom. 3:87-88
For more here is the Link:
And for those who would like it translated in other languages...
(الاسم) الكافر, الملحد